The Dominican monastery on the western edge of the town was established in 1230 by Methildis, the widow of Friedrich III of Ptuj. The Dominicans carried out their mission in Ptuj until the monastery was dissolved in 1786, when the buildings were turned into army barracks. At the beginning of the 20th century, the best rooms were turned into a museum, and today the monastery is used as a venue for cultural events, and is open to visitors from April to October. The monastery complex is built in Gothic and Baroque style, and its park offers beautiful views of the Drava River.
In front of the monastery, the site of the former monastery garden has been turned into a landscaped green area with paths, called Sun Park. The lawns are planted with trees and shrubs, and several stone monuments from ancient Poetovio have been placed among them in the past. Some of these artefacts can now be found in the open-air Roman lapidarium behind the museum’s administrative building on the eastern side of the park.